Monday, November 24, 2008

lamb stew

I love soups and stews this time of year. In fact my entire family calls this time of year Bowl Season. So I decided to make lamb stew last week. Sadly I forgot to take a photo and by the time I remembered my family had eaten all of it.

Last Easter I had made an entire leg of lamb. I froze the bone in a vacuum seal pouch for "Bowl Season" I also went to the butcher and bough mutton to add to the stew, fingerling potatoes, and baby carrots

i filled a large stock pot with filtered water and added the lamb bone set it on medium heat. I allowed it to come to a boil and then lowered the heat to simmer for 4 hours. In a skillet I added
2 TB butter
2 medium shallots(diced fine)
1/2 purple onion (diced fine)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 Portuguese allspice
and 2 lbs mutton for stew cut by the butcher doused in flour(i used rice flour so Sammy could eat it)

i sauteed the onions,shallots,butter and seasoning until they began to soften then added the mutton chunks. I browned them and set them aside. I removed one cup of broth from the stock pot and added it to the pan to get all the bits and pieces off of the pan. I added that to the stock pot.
I then added the sauteed mixture to the stew with carrots and potatoes and let it simmer until the vegetables were tender. I added
1 bay leaf
in the last 20 minutes of cook time and removed it as soon as the stew was done

I served this with ciabatta bread cut into large chunks.

everyone was happy

No comments: