Friday, November 14, 2008

welcome, please come in

welcome to my new cooking blog. From my grandmothers' kitchen is all about the fantastic food we eat that has roots in the cooking tradition of both my Nana and Vavoa(sometimes even my Vavoo). both women were equally inspiring, equally talented, and amazingly loving and patient.
my Nana was the baker. she made wonderful treats for my brother and I. cakes that dripped of honey and cannoli filled with white clouds. everything that woman made was amazing. She could cook of course, she could bone a turkey like no one else and she made the best potatoes with Munster cheese. Despite that, the thing I remember most, from my Nana, was the boxes of cake and cookie supplies she gave me each holiday. the old fashioned cookbooks,egg separators and one year a cookie press. i still have that press and I use it every Christmas. then I sit down with my warm eggnog some cookies and a few tears.
my Vovoa cooked. Every Sunday we went to her house for dinner. It didn't have to be anything fancy. In fact it was most often simple, but the tastes that came together in the dishes she made often left me wondering about the magic she had in her shaker bottles. As I got older my Vavoa and Vavoo began allowing me into the kitchen to help. My grandparents taught me to make sublatha(a sauce) vinha douls( a marinade) and of course the Portuguese beans. My Vavoo taught me to make eggnog, and i still make it every year.

No comments: